5 most wonderful things to do in Hanoi
Whereto.vn is going to introduce you to the five most wonderful things to do in Hanoi.
1. Walk around Hanoi’s old quarter
The beaty of Hanoi’s old quarter - Photo: Internet
The old quarter Hanoi is the phrase indicating the area of Hoan Kiem district, which is located at the North and the West of Hoan Kiem lake.
The old quarter in Hanoi is often called “36 streets and districts”. This is the place that has a variety of things for sale, with each of the streets and districts selling only one special kind of goods.
Some tourist attractions in the old quarter such as Dong Xuan market, O Quan Chuong, Dong Xuan gate, ancient house in 87 Ma May, Bach Ma temple and so on.
Go for a walk around the old quarter in Hanoi to experience the old architecture of Hanoi and buy souvenirs for friends (silk, green rice of Vong village, sugared dry apricot and so on), enjoying various delicious dishes such as noodle with snails, noodle in Crab chowder, fried Pho, bread, etc.
2. Contemplate Hoan Kiem Lake
Hoan Kiem Lake - Photo: Internet
Hoan Kiem Lakeis one of the symbols of Hanoi. This fresh water lake lies at Hoan Kiem District - the center of Hanoi. The lake is related to the legend when Le Thai To King returned sword to the Spiritual Turtle.
It is highly recommended that you should spend time sitting beside Hoan Kiem Lake to contemplate the fresh water surface, Turtle Tower in the middle of the lake and some local people entertaining around the lake in order to deeply enjoy the peaceful and picturesque views of Hanoi.
3. Experience Hanoi street food tour
Do not forget to taste Pho when you visit Hanoi - Photo: Internet
One of the most intriguing experiences while going on Hanoi tour is to take part in Hanoi street food tour. There are a large number of dishes that associate closely with the place-names.
Some of the most famous and popular dishes in Hanoi are Pho, Bun Cha, Cha Ca La Vong, dried beef salad, dishes made from ducks, Trang Tien ice-cream, boiled snails, grilled chicken’s feet, noodle with snails, Nem Tai Ba Hong, Ho Tay Shrimp Cakes, etc.
Other dishes are also very unique such as Banh Cuon Thanh Tri, Banh Day Quan Ganh, Bun Thang, Bun Moc, Mo tofu, Uoc Le sausages, Bun Dau Mam Tom and so on.
4. Visit Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum
Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum - Photo: Internet
Ho Chi Minh Mausoleumis located at the center of Hanoi, which is the place keeping the embalmed body of Ho Chi Minh President – the great leader of Vietnamese nation.
Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum has an extremely special meaning in every heart of Vietnamese people.
Ho Chi Minh President ritual tours often take place in the morning on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. There are no ritual tours on Monday and Friday.
* Hot season(from the 1st April to the 31st October):
Time: from 7:30am to 10:30am
Saturday, Sunday and holidays: from 7:30am to 11:00am
* Cold season(from the 1st November to the 31st March of the next year):
Time: from 8:00am to 11:00am
Saturday, Sunday and holidays: from 8:00am to 11:30am
5. Visit Temple Of Literature
Temple Of Literature - Photo: Internet
Temple Of Literature is considered as the first university in Vietnam - one of the symbols of Hanoi.
About 1,000 years ago, this was the place that stalae were constructed to record the names of those who passed Doctor of Philosophy and accepted gifted students.
82 stalae at Temple Of Literature were recognized to be the World Documentary Heritage by UNESCO - Photo: Internet
When going to Temple Of Literature, you will be attracted by its ancient architecture, experiencing the tradition of hard-studying and teacher-respecting spirits of Vietnamese people.
Open time in Temple Of Literature:
+ From November to March: 8:00am to 5:00pm
+ Other months: 7:30am to 6:00pm
Ticket price for foreigner: VND 30,000/adult (1.37USD), VND 15,000VND/child (0.6 USD).
* Notice when travelling to Hanoi:
- About the weather in Hanoi: it is rainy and hot from May to September, dry in the winter from November to March of the next year.
- The best time to travel to Hanoi: from September to November or from March to April of the next year when the weather is warm and nice.
- Transportation: Hanoi’s airport is Noi Bai International Airport. Flight time from Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi: 1 hour and 45 minutes. In addition, from Ho Chi Minh City you can take trains (depart from Saigon Railway Station: 01 Nguyen Thong, Ward 9, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City) or cars to Hanoi (maybe depart from Eastern Bus Station: 292 Dinh Bo Linh, Ward 26, Binh Thanh District, Ho Chi Minh City).
PHUONG LINH (whereto)