Awesome experiences only on Con Dao Islands, Vietnam
Con Dao Islands,situated in Ba Ria - Vung Tau Province, is an archipelago off the Southern coast of Vietnam.
1. Enjoying Dam Trau Beach - the most beautiful beach of Con Dao Islands
Dam Trau Beach - Photo: Internet
Dam Trau Beach is still wild with the golden sands, the blue water and the colorful corals. The Beach is embraced by an arc-shaped range of mountain with undulating banks of rock.
2. Exploring Bay Canh Island
The beauty of Bay Canh Island - Photo: Internet
There is a mangrove and a beautiful beach on Bay Canh Island. You can go snorkeling here.
Cat Lon Beach is one of 14 beaches having the most number of turtles coming to lay eggs on Con Dao Islands. The lighthouse built by French is still working. The tourists can climb on it to contemplate the vast sky over the sea.
3. Visiting Con Dao Prison
Con Dao Prison - Photo: Internet
This is a system established by French to incarcerate prisoners who were dangerous to the French colonial government such as political prisoners or Communists, etc.
The most famous site of the Prison are “tiger’s cage” and “ox’s cage” which were considered as a “Hell on Earth”. Currently, the cellar of feces and urine when prisoners were forced to macerate is still remain.
Coming to the Con Dao Prison, you will feel the brutality of war and treasure the values of peace and chauvinism.
4. Visiting the grave of Vo Thi Sau at Hang Duong Cemetery
The grave of Vo Thi Sau at Hang Duong Cemetery - Photo: Internet
The grave of Vo Thi Sau at Hang Duong Cemetery is a site you should visit when you come to Con Dao Islands. Vo Thi Sau was a female revolutionary who was executed at 19 years of age in 1952.
Hang Duong Cemetery is the resting place of more than 2000 Vietnamese martyrs.
Hang Duong Cemetery - Photo: Internet
5. Visiting Nui Mot Pagoda
Nui Mot Pagoda - Photo: Internet
Nui Mot Pagoda is considered as the pagoda having the best Feng Shui in Vietnam. The back of the Pagoda leans on the mountain and there is a large lotus pond.
The Pagoda is covered in a peaceful and restful atmosphere, and seems to separate from the world.
6. Visiting the pearl cultivation base
Visiting the pearl cultivation base will help you to understand the progress of culturing pearls and how to take the pearls out of the mussels. Besides, you can see white pearls and rare kinds of pearls like black, pink, ivory yellow. You also can buy jewelries made from pearls to present friends or relatives.
* Some notes when visiting Con Dao Islands
1. Means of transportation
- Ship: Departing from Cat Lo Port (Vung Tau Province) and taking about 12 hours to get to Ben Dam Port (Con Dao).
Price: from 200,000 VND or more per ticket (9.17 USD)
- Plane from Ho Chi Minh City
The time it takes to get to the Islands is about 45 minutes
Price: from 800,000 VND (36.6 USD) or more per ticket
2. Transport on Con Dao Islands
- Hired cars with 800,000 VND per day (36.6 USD) if going with a group
- Hired bikes with the fee more of less than 150,000 VND per day (6.88 USD, depending on the kind of the bike)
Whether hiring car or bike, you should check the fuel tank before departing because there is only one gas station on the Islands.
3. Resting and eating places
There are two most famous resorts which belong to the group of Vietnam beach resorts on the Islands.
- Con Dao Resortis located on Nguyen Duc Thuan Street near by the beach and surrounded by casuarina pines and coconut trees. Con Dao Resort has a private beach with more than 2km long and the sunlit white sand bank.
Con Dao Resort - Photo: Internet
- Six Senses Con Đao Resort is an awesome choice if you want to rest, distance yourself from the noise of the downtown. The Resort is built based on criteria for environmental friendliness. It is covered by green hills.
Six Senses Con Đao Resort - Photo: Internet
- Sea food on Con Dao Islands is very fresh and tasty, especially red grouper. The meat of this kind fish is chewy and sweet. The price is quite high: 700,000 - 800,000 VND/kg (32 USD - 36.69 USD).
And you also should try some yummy dishes such as cellana, sea urchin sauce, oyster sauce, peanut worm, etc.